1899: The foundation stone of the church was laid in by the first Bishop of Liverpool, Bishop Charles Ryle.
1901: The Church was consecrated.
1906: The Memorial Chapel was dedicated
1907: The St Luke’s Mothers’ Union was formed
1908: The foundation stone for the Parish Hall was laid
1912 The completion of the Parish Hall.
The church was designed by the architect James Francis Doyle, a Liverpool architect, who also designed St. Barnabas Church, Mossley Hill. However, Doyle was more prolific as a secular architect, and was a “disciple” of Norman Shaw (White Star building). Doyle is better known for his Prudential Building in the city centre, with it’s gold dome. Originally the church was to have a tower and spire.
St Luke’s is of roughly cruciform plan, although the transepts project very little beyond the aisles. The church has west and south porches, but no west door. The west wall will be noted as lit by a five light design, with however two arches left blind. Here, glass is plain, as also on the north side of the church. A west narthex leads to a four bay nave with clerestory. Pillars are octagonal, double chamfer, these and all dressings being of sandstone, including the string course, which separates arcades from clerestory. Here, Fine sandstone shafts sit upon corbels, and reach up to the nave roof, which was never completed, the panelling never being carried out as in the chancel. The original font cover is at the west end of the nave. Note also the particularly fine west screen.
The nave has no arch at its east end, although there are very large arches to the north, south and east. Aisles are separated from the transepts by low traverse arches, and both transepts have three light windows, again of plain glass. The south aisle has some excellent glass. In the south transept is the war memorial, and a very fine iron screen leads into the charming Lady Chapel with some fine stained glass. The chapel is also separated from the chancel by two bays, smaller than those of the nave, but again with octagonal piers, and with another excellent iron screen.
The Organ was built in 1921 by Rushworth and Dreaper at a time when a lot of Norman and beard staff, another leading organ builder, had taken employment with the Liverpool firm. Rushworth was, in it’s heyday, the largest Organ building firm in the British Isles. They built very many excellent instruments, including the St Luke’s instrument, which, although modest in size, is varied and impressive in tone. There are 23 registers over two manuals and pedals. The case is typical of the firm. Interestingly, the case does not sport the Oberwindbanger woodwork that the magnificent pulpit does. It appears the original organ was replaced by the current, which did would have had such carving.
The very fine floor in the chancel area is of Italian Marble. The roof, a wagon roof vault, was restored some years ago, together with the fine gold leaf. The East window, again of three lights, has some particularly good glass, very akin to Burne Jones style.
St Luke’s celebrated our centenary in 2001. Radio Merseyside broadcast our centenary service in October 2001.
Ian Tracey, the cathedral organist, gave a recital on our church organ and was delighted with the tone and beautiful condition.
‘Teas for Fans’: Because of the proximity to the Everton Football Club ground, we open our church hall on match days and serve refreshments to supporters. We also offer a cup of tea to the police.
In 2004 we opened a remembrance garden to the rear of the church – this is a beautiful reflective space. Since opening we have placed many memorial plaques up to commemorate Everton FC Supporters and parishioners. The garden is always open on match days and Sundays after our morning service. It is frequently open during the week – please contact the office if you’d like to spend time in the garden.
We have a dedicated Mothers’ Union, a pram club and other groups who meet in the hall. We have a regular messy church and other activities for young people and children.
The Friends of St Luke’s was founded in 2012. If you are interested in the preservation of the building and work of the church please do join with us in our efforts to keep this wonderful building alive at the heart of the community. please pick up a leaflet for more information.
The current organ was installed in 1926/7 and was paid for by donations given by the congregation and past members.
|Ron Woan||Later played at Liverpool Cathedral|
Vicars of St Luke’s
There is a plaque on the left of the church that lists all the priests who have served at St Luke the Evangelist.
|1901 – 05||John Walton Tyrer|
|1905 – 10||Frederick G Millar|
|1910 – 20||G Eldridge Gordon|
|1920 – 25||J S Tudor-Jones|
|1926 – 35||H Lionel Gibbs|
|1935 – 39||V G Havergal-Shaw|
|1939 – 41||E J M Eldridge|
|1941 – 51||J Harold Walker|
|1951 – 76||Robert Campbell|
|1977 – 2010||H E Ross|
|2012 – present (Priest in Charge)||Ellen Loudon|
You can download a copy of the history booklet, 2012